Monday, January 14, 2008

The Milking is Done


I can't believe it but I am done nursing. I've been weaning Aria for the past month and I was down to weaning her off the last feeding this weekend. Friday night I was trying to nurse her while Mike and I were watching a movie and she decided that she was done. She nursed for a second, pulled off, stuck her tongue out and spit at me. I couldn't believe it! Mike started cracking up and I thought it was pretty funny too, I must admit. I tried to nurse her again and she bit me. So, it's offficial, the cow has been milked for the last time!

I'm really going to miss it though. I have throughly enjoyed nursing each of my babies. It was so much fun to sit in my big chair, put my feet up and cuddle up with my sweet little ones. It makes me kind of sad, but Aria had so many teeth she made the choice quite easy. I will really miss all the time I got to read. The pages were flying and I buzzed through a ton of books this past year. Mike would often poke his head in to Aria's room and ask if I was done nursing. I would look down at her, she would be totally asleep, look at the great book I was deeply into and reply that she would probably be nursing for a little while longer. Sometimes I even looked forward to getting up in the middle of the night because I knew I would be able to get back into a great story. Crazy me, I know. I was talking to a friend the other night and I was telling her some of the great books I've read this past year and she said I should put them on my blog. So here it goes, here is a list of the books I have read since Aria was born (At least what I can remember, who knows what I got from the library). Maybe this will inspire someone else to pick up a good book. (Sorry it's so long!)
Inspirational: "The Traveler's Gift"-Andy Andrews, "A Heart Like His"- Virginia H. Pearce, "The Gift of Pain"- Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancy, "All But My Life"- Gerda Weissmann Klein Fictional Good Reads: "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever"- Barbara Robinson, "Blue Shoes and Happiness"- Alexander McCall Smith, "Austenland"- Shannon Hale, "The Memory Keeper's Daughter"- Kim Edwards, "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven"- Fannie Flagg, "Gracelin O'Malley"- Ann Moore, "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan"- Lisa See, "As Time Goes By"- Jerry Borrowman, "Stardust"- Neil Gaiman, "The Golden Compass", "The Amber Spyglass", and "The Subtle Knife"- All by Philip Pullman (These are in the children's section but they are not children's books! The content is better suited for teens and adults.) "Dear John"- Nicholas Sparks Mysteries: "Strong Poison"- Dorothy L. Sayers, "Crocodile on the Sandbank", "The Curse of the Pharaohs", "The Mummy Case", and "Lion in the Valley"- All by Elizabeth Peters Thrillers: "The Alexandria Link" and "The Third Secret"- Steve Berry, "The Historian"- Elizabeth Kostova, "Split Second"- David Baldacci, "The Bourne Identity"- Robert Ludlum Young Adult Fiction: "Girls in Pants"- Ann Brashares, "Eclipse"- Stephanie Meyer (Read the first two if you haven't read them, "Twilight" is incredible!), "Uglies", "Pretties", and "Specials"- All by Scott Westerfeld (Very Cool Sci Fi), "The Warrior Heir" and "The Wizard Heir"- Cinda Williams Chima, Older Children's Books: "Esperanza Rising"- Pam Munoz Ryan, "Enna Burning", "River Secrets", "Princess Academy" and "Book of a Thousand Days"- All by Shannon Hale, "Bridge to Terabithia"- Katherine Paterson, "The Tale of Despereaux"- Kate DiCamillo Older Children's Adventure and Fantasy: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"- J.K. Rowling, "Fablehaven", "Fablehaven Two" and "The Candy Shop War" (This book was so much fun!)- All by Brandon Mull, "Of Mice and Magic"- David Farland, "Half Moon Investigations" and "Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony"- Eoin Colfer (I love all of his books, great books for boys or tomboys), "Magyk" and "Flyte"- Angie Sage, "The Lightning Thief" and "The Sea of the Monsters"- Rick Riordan (another great series), "Leven Thumps and the Eyes of the Want"- Obert Skye, "Widow's Revenge"- K.L. Fogg Children's Books: "Shiloh"- Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, "Surfer Dog"- Elizabeth Spurr, "Latter Day Spies Resuce"- Michele Ashman Bell, "From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"- E.L. Konigsburg, "Heat"- Mike Lupica, "Invisible Stanley"- Jeff Brown, "Ready Freddy, The Pumpkin Elf Mystery"- Abby Klein, "Midnight on the Moon"- Mary Pope Osborne, "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" and "Ralph S. Mouse"- Beverly Clearly

3 comments:

am vorhis said...

Mauri, you are still such a speed reader, you put me to shame, and I usually can read 2 200+ page books a week! Sean, however thinks he should read them too and will stop nursing to play with the book if i try to read during nursing. Love the blog, we miss you already! Sean loved playing with Aria! He smiles every time I show him her picture, or a picture of the two of them on the computer! Love you tons! Ann-Michelle

MiNdY said...

Oh my goodness!! I didnt think the list would end! You are so great to read so much! I need to be better at reading! Its the Staker in me I guess. What went wrong with us! :) haha

meg said...

SHEESH! And I thought I was doing good with 5 books last year! You're amazing! So, out of those 60 some books, do you have a favorite, or even a top 5?