Friday, June 18, 2010

Swim Lessons

The kids really wanted to take swim lessons this year. Last year I waited too long and ended up not being able to get them in to any sessions. I decided to try out the Lindon pool this year because it's actually a lot closer to us than the Orem pool. It's a much smaller area than the Orem pool and it seemed a lot less crowded and chaotic.

Aria is old enough to do a class without Mom, so I was a little worried how she would react. My fears were soon laid to rest when on the first day she quickly grabbed the hand of her teacher Jessica and practically ran to get into the water. She was a lot of fun to watch.
She didn't like going all the way under the water at first, but by the end of the two weeks she was sticking her face in to blow bubbles, jumping off the side to her teacher and learning to glide and float like a little fish.
She even went down the big slide with her teacher twice on the last day and she loved being in the front of their choo choo train as they went around the lazy river.
Chase was born to be in the water. His teachers kept commenting on how he was the best in the class and that he was better than some of their students in the next class up. He was a champion floater, both on his back and his front.
He could probably float on his back all day. He learned to tread water and started learning the front crawl. He also loved diving for the rings and sticks with his goggles.
Hunter's class worked a lot on learning to dive. His teacher often asked Hunter to be the example for the other kids.
He got really good at it while his classmates continued to belly flop into the water. He also worked on the elementary backstroke and the front crawl. His favorite thing, though, was diving in and touching the bottom of the pool. He loves spending time under the water. I guess that's why he loves those scuba goggles so much.
Michela's class was all about stroke improvement. She worked really hard and made great strides in improving her front crawl and backstroke.
She was also introduced to the breaststroke, the butterfly, and learned how to turn at the wall.
Here is her class all lined up on the side of the pool going over the mechanics of the breaststroke.
The all passed their classes with flying colors! I wish I could sign them up for another session right away, but Michela will be gone next week at the Clear Creek Camp and this baby could decide to come at any time. Maybe we'll have time for more lessons later in the summer. I wouldn't mind a little more time relaxing poolside. And it might be a little more enjoyable when I don't have a big pregnant belly weighing me down. :)

No comments: