Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Lightning Thief


I just took the kids to go see "The LightningThief" today. I was forewarned that there was a little language and a couple of mature scenes before I went. I was afraid that it was going to be a horrible mistake to take the kids, but I'm glad I did. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined. There were a couple of swear words, which they could have done without, and the one scene in Las Vegas shows the kids eating some food which turns out to be mind compelling drugs. There were some mildly scary scenes which had Chase covering his eyes (he is 6 1/2) but he was fine. I had to do a lot of explaining to him about the Greek Gods and Godesses but he seemed to follow it pretty well. I would probably recommend this for kids over 8 or 9 though.
Let me just say that they left out some major parts of the story and added in some of their own ideas. If you are the kind of person who is disappointed if the movie isn't just like the book then you might want to skip the movie. Of course the book is way better, but try and show me a movie that is ever better than the book! I was also disappointed that they decided to make the kids so much older than the books. Book 1 starts out with Percy being like 12 years old. It totally changes the tone of the movie. I would have liked the movie to be aimed more at the age group of the kids who read the books, probably 8-14 years old instead of teenagers.
On it's own though, the movie was a lot of fun! There was plenty of action, it was never dull for a moment, and the characters had great friendships and loyalty towards each other. My kids loved it and on the way home they were fighting over who got to be Percy and who was going to be Grover. Michela is already excited for a sequel and Hunter is ready to dive into the books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went last night too with a whole group of hard core Percy Jackson fans (my girls and their friends.) They felt much the same way you did about it. Fun--but could have been better.

taylorz of lehi said...

Thanks for the review! Christian really wants to see it because he's read the book but the trailers look, well, like you said, a little more mature than I want him to think he is. I'll take him now!