Monday, February 8, 2010

Bronson the Wiggle Worm

We had a fabulous visit with Matt, Sara and Bronson last night. We were so thankful to our good friends the Gardaniers for volunteering to watch our kids so we could go up for a visit. Thankfully we got there about ten minutes before visiting hours were over so we got to see Bronson.

He was wide awake and scooting and wiggling around. He was kind of sideways in the crib with some cute little toes sticking out of the bars in the crib. I couldn't help but stroke his sweet little foot. He seemed to love it! He was staring up at the ceiling when I walked in but I noticed when we were standing around the crib talking that his eyes were moving around at the different voices. When a new voice would pop into the conversation his eyes would go in that direction and try to focus on that person for a few seconds. Yeah! Baby steps is all we can ask for right now. His ventilator tube was still in but Sara said he has had a some great breathing tests the last couple of days. Please pray specifically for his lungs to be strong enough to breath on his own. This would be such a big giant leap for him. He would get that horrible tube out of his throat, be able to be moved out of the PICU, and make it so much easier for Matt and Sara to hold their sweet little boy.

We had a great talk with Matt and Sara. And it was so wonderful that Matt and Mike's sister Mindy and her daughter Alyssa where there as well. It felt a little bit like being at Peggy and Larry's for Sunday dinner sitting around the table chatting. We all told Sara how wonderful and inspiring her blog has been to us and so many people. She and Matt are so touched by the outpouring of love and service from so many. They say they can't comprehend all the people who have been touched by their situation, especially so many people they don't even know. They are so happy to see the good that is happening in so many people's lives and families because of their personal tragedy. The inspired stories of people loving a bit more, being more patient, finding a new strength, gaining new perspective and being able to live a better life. What a blessing it has been to so many families to be able to fast and pray for someone who is so real to them and it has made these principles become so much more meaningful. It was also cheering to see Matt and Sara haven't lost their sense of humor. :) There were tears shed last night, but lots of laughs as well. We didn't want to leave, but we knew that we needed to get back to our own children.

I see a new light in their eyes. I see a quiet strength that is much stronger than it was before. I hear testimony that has been strengthened. I see them looking at life through new eyes and appreciating what is most important and not worrying about the small stuff.

I look at my own husband who has been a broken man for much of the week. I felt like he fell apart for a while and didn't know what to do. He has taken this so hard and he hates not being able to step in and figure out how to put the pieces back together again. The big brother in him wants to make it all better for his brother. I felt a bit alone when this all started because I was so heavy hearted but at the same time I knew I had my own family to take care of at the same time. We both couldn't fall apart, someone had to make sure the kids were fed and the laundry got done. It's been a hard week watching him deal with this. But I have felt the spirit so strongly in our house as our family prayers have become more frequent and more meaningful. I have been lifted by the snippets of conversation I have overheard when he is talking on the phone with his Dad and the sight of him on his knees in prayer. I love hearing about the "morning side" devotionals they have down at the carpet store. Mike is so thankful for a job environment where they can all come together and say a prayer when needed.

I was so thankful to be able to hold Aria in my arms last night when we got back from the hospital. I pray that Sara will be able to do that with Bronson soon. I was surprised at my patience this morning with Chase as he went through his usual struggle to get up in the morning and get ready in time to go to school. I was surprised by my change in attitude from my usual annoyance to my desire to help him, speaking softly and helping him get dressed. I am not happy that Bronson has to go through this hard trial in life but I am thankful for the opportunities it has given me and so many other people to draw closer to the Lord and to look at things with a new perspective. Keep praying for Bronson, he still has a long road ahead of him!

6 comments:

meg said...

Beautifully said, Maur! I was so glad when Mike called last night, I needed that. I needed to hear a voice, not just another brief text (not that texts are bad.) :) I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Oh so beautiful Mauri. Thanks. A friend of ours lost a child a couple of years ago--at the viewing they kept saying, "We are going to be okay. We have to be--we have four other children to raise." Sometimes it is our responsibilities that help us to be strong. I'm sure this has been such a trial for your family too when you are so close. I'm so sorry for your heartache. It is so tender to think of Mike's struggle. We continue to pray for Bronson.

The Benches said...

This was so wonderful to read! I'm so glad he is taking baby steps. We love your family so much and are so grateful for the examples you have all been to us. We will keep praying for Bronson, and for that dang tube to come out of his throat. Thanks for such sweet words! Love ya! Oh, and I'm so THRILLED about the little girl who is growing beautifully in your tummy. That is so much fun!

Megan said...

I'm not sure if you'll remember me from clothing and textiles and the fashion show (megan macfarlane). I found your blog through Sara's. We were once in their ward. I was so sad to hear about the accident and now I check her blog, continually praying for good news. Your words were so beautiful about the trial it has been for your family and the sweet spirit it has brough to your family. This has touched our family so deeply and I am so thankful for the testimonies that have been shared because of little Bronsons trial. You have a beautiful family and I wish you the very best with baby #5

Melanie Anne said...

Hi Mauri,
I don't know if you remember me--but i am Brad Christensen's wife. Anyway--Mike sent Brad an email a couple of days ago about Bronson with a link to their blog. i am so glad he did. We read what happened and just cried. We shared the story with our boys and we all prayed our hearts out for him and fasted for him on Sunday. In fact my cute little 7 year old bore his testimony that day and started to tell about why he was fasting. After church all these people came up to me wanting to know more and each saying they would pray for Bronson too. So he recieved a lot of prayers all the way from Tennessee. Anyway--I am so happy that he is doing so well now. What a blessing! Thank heavens. I just saw a link to your blog from theirs and thought I would say Hi! Congrats on your growing family!! Your children are beautiful!
Love, Melanie Christensen

moliver said...

You don't know me. I'm a mom of two little boys in So. California. Sara's blog was linked to one of my friend's blogs and couldn't stop reading her recent posts on Bronson's progress. This trial of Bronson's has touched my life and just as you mentioned in this post, has helped me in my parenting, to be more patient with my own children and to put life in perspective. Normal frustrations I have seem so small now. Bronson has been in my prayers the last week since I came across Sara's blog and I am overjoyed that he is well and is able to go home. I'll keep praying for his continued recovery. It seems like They have such a strong support system of family, friends and ward family. I am so grateful for your family's miracle. I hope we always remember to hold the ones we love a bit tighter.