Wednesday, March 31, 2010

New Magnet Board

While Mike was gone on his golf trip last week I decided to get a couple of things crossed off my project list. This is our command center in the house. I bought these at Pottery Barn a few years ago. The one on the left has our family calendar where each child is color coded so I know at a glance who has what going on. There is also a place to hang our keys and keep our temperature gauge. The one on the right is a magnetic chalkboard. We've never really used it as a chalkboard because there isn't enough room to write anything under all the papers. Last Christmas Mike's cousin Carrie gave us magnet clips with all the kids' names on them. This has made it very easy to keep track of all their important school papers. I've been wanting to make a much bigger magnet board for a while now. I hate how the papers all hang off the board and often hide the clock. I found this frame at Michael's for half off. I took out the glass and bought a piece of sheet metal at Home Depot. I laughed when I asked the guy at Home Depot where the sheet metal was. He looked at me and then said, "You're making a magnet board, aren't you." I wonder how many women have asked him where the sheet metal is. :) Unfortunately it was a smidgen too big. Fortunately my sister-in-law Megan showed up right then. She went out in the garage, found some gloves and tin snips and went to work on trimming it down. It fit in beautifully! I switched the arrangement because the wall on the left had way more space. Now I have plenty of room for all of the kids' important papers and anything else I want to stick up there. I keep smiling as I walk by it. Thanks for the help Megan!

2 comments:

meg said...

Yup, I still love it. Glad I could help!

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

You are so dang crafty, my friend. I need lessons! :) And hey, those crafty ideas will come in handy in cub scouts some day :) ha ha ha Love you!