Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Defender

Hunter had a fun first season of basketball. He didn't want to play at first but his best friend's Dad convinced him to join the team. I couldn't believe how much he progressed in two months. He greatly improved on his dribbling, blocking, lay ups and the pick and roll.
Hunter is a pretty gentle kid so it was hard for him to be in there with all those aggressive boys, throwing elbows and swatting the ball. Here he is in the thick of it.
After watching him one game I told him to try and be more aggressive. I asked him, "If you were playing against Michela, would you let her take the ball from you?" "No," he replied, "she's mean." So I told him to pretend like he was playing against Michela every game so he wouldn't let those other boys push him around.
Dribbling down the court.
Shooting a Free Throw.
Listening to the Coach.
Hunter and his Best Buddy Adam.
Hunter was given the Best Defensive Player award at the end of the season party.
(It was a swim party, hence the swimsuit.) He grumbled a bit about always having to be the defender. Hunter is one of the tallest kids on the team so he got to hang out under the basket a lot and try to block the ball. To cheer him up I told him in the NBA a lot of guys get paid big money because they are the best defenders. That put a smile on his face. :)

2 comments:

MiNdY said...

He looks SOOO big in that last picture!! I cant believe how big all these kids are getting!! SLOW IT DOWN!! :) Way to go Hunter!
I love your pep talk reference to Michela. Reminded me of the blind side. :) Gotta know the player! haha Love ya!

meg said...

Awesome! Haha, that's how Mindy was such a good player in YW bball, they told her to pretend she was playing against me. We won all the time. :) Way to go, Hunter!