Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Day at BYU

Today my Mom and I decided we needed to take the kids on a fun outing before she left us for California. We decided on the BYU Art Museum because: 1. They were having a cool exhibit with art from the "I SPY" book creator Walter Wick and 2. It is free! We tried to get over there as early as possible, it opens at 10:00 am, so it wouldn't be too crowded.
We started off with looking at the main floor exhibit that was showcasing Southwestern art. There were some beautiful paintings, pottery, baskets and furniture being showcased. I loved all the warm colors and Michela really appreciated the paintings. She's actually becoming quite the little artist. On the other hand, Hunter and Chase were about to fall over from boredom, they kept asking when we were going to go see the cool stuff.
Downstairs we first checked out an exhibit from an artist named Dan Steinhilber. He uses everyday things to create art and sculptures. I was able to snap a couple of pictures before the guards told me photos were not allowed. Oops! This piece is made of balloons that had been blown up. The exhibit has been up for a while so a lot of them had popped. This one is a bunch of PVC pipe all hooked together. And this one is about a million little duck sauce packets that have been glued on to a board. I love the way this one turned out. It kind of has a wave pattern to it and I love the way the light shines on it. My favorite sculpture had to be the one hanging in the entry way to the museum. It is made of hangers from the dry cleaners.
Next we went to the Walter Wick exhibit. There were numerous blown up prints of the artwork in his books. There were also some of the props that were used to make the artwork. Hunter was in love with the robots. I could see him looking at one of them trying to figure out how he could make one himself. We had a lot of fun "spying" things in the pictures and checking out the models.
After that we walked across campus to the bookstore. It was fun telling the kids some of my BYU experiences and showing them some of the buildings where I had attended classes. The kids had just gotten their allowance so they made a beeline to the candy counter. Then we went for lunch in the Wilkinson Center. I was surprised to find a food court where the old cafeteria used to be. Let me just say that I really haven't been to campus since I graduated, so it's been a while.
We finished off lunch with some yummy ice cream from the creamery and then headed home.
It's amazing how much fun you can have without spending a lot of money. Thanks Mom for the fun day!

4 comments:

Kris Tina said...

This all looks so . . . familiar. And yes, I still haven't been to that exhibit.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe my sister hasn't told me about this exhibit!!! How long is it there for? I want to take my girls there like tomorrow!!! That looks so cool!

Natalie said...

You have a beautiful family! Thanks so much for following Sensibly Styled. Let us know if you have anything you want us to post!

meg said...

I love the pvc pipe sculpture, it looks cool! I wish I could blow up the picture of the duck sauce packets, I can see the wave, I really like it too! Groovy! What a fun day!