When we got there the kids saw the tractor and immediately climbed on. I remember Grandpa taking us for rides in the bucket of the tractor and even letting me drive it a few times when we were baling hay. 
We then took a walk down the road to the old barn.We had so much fun in that barn when we were kids.
I always remember it being piled high with bales of hay. We would climb the ladder to the top and then play games with our cousins. Hide and Seek was so much fun, jumping from bale to bale, running across the top of the bales and trying to do it without our legs falling into the holes. I loved sneaking past the cows and creeping into the barn. I loved the smell of the hay when it was first baled. I loved watching the cows down below in the yard.

I loved roaming the pastures of the farm. It is so beautiful up there. We had many adventures there every summer.
It was kind of sad to walk around the house, it felt so empty. The rooms looked so small and so much has been taken out of the house. I walked past the old freezer and opened it up, expecting to see gallons of ice cream, but of course there wasn't a single thing in there.
After checking out the farm we headed to Main St. and found this little restaurant to eat lunch at. It was called the Galleria Cafe, I think, and it had the best pizza. It totally reminded me of Italy. Nice and simple sauce, super thin crust, ... yum. The kids loved it as well and my Mom raved about her artichoke salad. We will definitely be going back there again.
We then heard from a fellow customer that Granny's is open again! I was so sad when they went out of business. Mike and I used to drive up there like once a week to get shakes when we were dating and newly married. These shakes are way better than any around. The ice cream isn't super sweet so you can eat the majority of it before you start to get too sick. :) What a fun day we had walking down memory lane.
5 comments:
So sweet. I totally remember going to your grandparents' farm in Midway when I was a little girl with my grandparents and parents for a Berkeley reunion. I wonder if you were there? :)
Also, hooray for Granny's shakes!
You're a girl after my own heart. I love going down memory Lane!
What a darling family you have! And I'm so happy to hear that Grannies is open!!! I have many fun memories from my college days getting yummy shakes.
Thanks for the sweet comment on MADE. It's hard to find the time to sew. Often it do it at night. But yesterday my 3 year old decided to take a nap! (that never happens, so it was a productive afternoon).
I fell in love with Midway when we were there for a week. I could live up there...if it weren't for the wild animals that kept jumping in front of me on my morning runs! :) How cool you can still go up there and reminisce.
Aaaaaaah, the farm. I can remember spending hours riding in the bucket of Grandpa's tractor. And playing in the barn that used to seem so BIG! Remember climbing up the ladder and feeling like you were on top of the world? Man, being a kid sure was great! Especially when you had places like the farm for your playground.
Post a Comment