Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Backyard Campout

Mike pitched the little tent in the backyard last night so the kids could have a little camping trip.  About 20 minutes after they went in the wind started kicking up.  It was blowing that little tent all over the place.  I went out to say goodnight to them and I asked if they were sure they wanted to sleep out there.  Michela and Hunter said yes immediately but Chase kind of looked at me with a doubtful look on his face.  Chase admitted he was a little scared of the wind, but he decided he would tough it out.  It actually didn't take him long to fall asleep after I left.  That kid can fall asleep anywhere.  
I stayed up reading and I had my bedroom window open so I could hear them.  Whenever the wind would start blowing really hard I would call out the window to them and ask them if they were sure they wanted to sleep outside.  Every time I would hear, "Yes", so I finally gave up asking.  
I had the hardest time falling asleep because I couldn't take a peek at them before I went to sleep.  Every night before I go to bed I have to go and look at each of them to see if they are asleep.  I then rearrange blankets, make sure they don't have too many books or toys in their beds, usually rearrange Aria (she is a little sleeping tornado and often has her feet sticking out of her crib) and give them all a little kiss goodnight.  Hunter won't actually let me kiss him anymore, so I have to sneak it in when he's sleeping.  Not being able to do that last night made for a hard time falling asleep.  
But of course all my worrying was for nothing, they survived and had a great time.  Mike made them pancakes for breakfast and they are all out there now running and diving into the tent.  Of course they want to sleep out there again tonight.

2 comments:

meg said...

That's so fun! The girls wanted to sleep out every night the tent was up. Of course they can't because school is still in. They won't sleep out there by themselves though, and there's no way Russ will...so that leaves me. :)

Anonymous said...

You are seriously the sweetest mom. I read somewhere that each time you kiss your child goodnight you are saying goodbye to a little piece of their childhood--each morning they are a little bit older than the night before. I should go kiss my kids . . .