Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Disaster Strikes!

So yesterday I was making dinner and Michela came in from playing outside. Aria was playing on the stairs and Michela went over to say hi to her. Michela asked me, "Mom, did Aria get her haircut?" My heart sank and I said, "No, why do you ask?" Michela looked at me and replied, "because one side of her hair is shorter." I was so afraid to go and look at her hair and see what had been done. I looked at Aria and didn't notice anything at first until I turned her head and saw that the right side of her hair was almost all gone. Chase walked in right then and when he saw the look on my face the guilt exploded all over his face and he hung his head. I immediately sent him to his room, as punishment and for his safety as well. I fingered Aria's pretty little curls on the other side of her head and burst into tears. I am not kidding you when I say that I sobbed. I don't know why it hurt me so much to see her hair butchered but it killed me. I think Michela thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown.

What would posess Chase to cut his baby sister's hair??!!! He said he didn't think he would get in trouble. What??!! It wouldn't be all that bad, except for the fact that we are supposed to take family pictures next week. Now I don't know if I even want to take them, because I don't think I want to see this haircut up on my wall for the next 3 years! Don't get me wrong, she's still so darn cute, but she's just doesn't look like the same little Aria to me. I know it's only hair and it will grow back some day (or year) but it breaks my heart to think that those cute little curls that flipped up on her shoulders will probably never come back.

Here are the pictures of the before and after. At least our sweet neighbor let me bring her over this morning so she could even it all out. Thanks Lisa!
So Sad!


The New Do


8 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the new look for little girls, the short in the back and long on the sides. She looks sweet. This is crazy, but I dreamed about you and Mike last night. When we are alone I will tell you about it. Fun to see all your pictures of the fam. You have a great family life

meg said...

Oh, Mauri! At least she is still so darn cute!! That's about as good as when I cut my pigtail off one side of my head! I think Aria looks darling!

am vorhis said...

Mauri, do not despair, remember the bowl cut my mom gave me? It was awful and I had it for two whole years! Aria looks absolutely adorable with her new cut, I know it is not the same, but still picture worthy as she just shines! I would have cried too, and now I know to hide the scissors...course Sean only has the cats hair to cut but...... Hang in there, love to all from sunny california.

MiNdY said...

Aww, I happen to love the new do! Nothing to prevent family pictures from happening. Shes still absolutely DARLING! Its a cute little bob on her. Although I understand where you are coming from, it seems like forever for these Staker GiRLs to get hair. If that happened to Lys when she was little I would have cried too.

Anonymous said...

Oh she is way way HIP! Chase had a vision that the rest of us hadn't caught on to yet! Very very soon this is a funny story--and in the meantime Aria is darling.

Alex McMurray said...

Looks like we have a future "Shear Genius" contestant!

Whoops.

Nice recovery, Mauri. The new-and-improved 'do works well!

Lynette said...

My friends daughter cut Rachelle's hair when she was little and I cried too. My poor friend didn't know what to do. I was mad and sad because I had been growing Rachelle's out since birth she was about 5 or 6. So I could totally relate to your story. Thankfully hair does grow back and I think Aria's hair looks perfect!! Just put a bow or a barett in it for the pictures if you feel the need.
I cut my eyelashes short when I was little because my moms friend said they were so long...I thought that was a bad thing!!

Smarties said...

Oh your story made me feel so sad! When she was 3 my youngest daughter did it to herself (!) about 15 minutes before church one Sunday. I know the sadness. :) But I agree with the others, the new 'do is very cute too.