Saturday, May 16, 2009

Our Own Produce Section

I've been wanting to plant a garden for years now, but this year we finally decided to actually do it. My wish list consisted of zucchini, squash, tomatoes (Roma, cherry, ...), carrots, onions, basil, cilantro, pumpkins, strawberries, lettuce, bell peppers, ... what don't I want?! Mike came home with some seeds and we went to town. We had to move a couple of bushes to make room on the side of the house that gets the most sunshine. We ended up planting Roma, Cherry and Regular Tomatoes, squash, zucchini, carrots, basil, cilantro, strawberries, pumpkins, watermelon, and cantaloupe. We already have a peach and plum tree and some raspberry and blackberry bushes. The kids helped us plant the seeds and Mike worked out a drip system from our existing sprinkler system. I love having a handy hubby!
Michela made little markers for all of the different fruits and veggies.
I can't wait to see some little green sprouts!
I remember having a garden when I was little and I loved going out every day to see what had changed from the day before. I can't wait to be able to go outside and "shop" at my own produce section instead of having to go to the store all the time. Is anyone else doing a garden? Do you have any tips for us newbie gardeners? I'll have to post some more pictures as our crop starts to show. :) By the way, Aria was inside taking a nap during the planting. This is the only reason we were able to get so much done!

3 comments:

meg said...

That is awesome! Poor little Aria missing out on all the fun. haha, I know exactly what you mean.

Lynette said...

Way to go! I am jealous. My garden in St. George bombed already. Guess it would help to be there to tend to it a bit.

Kris Tina said...

I must admit - I'm a bit jealous. Despite our efforts - a garden is not happening this year (if we are realistic about it) - but next year - let's have a family pumpkin competition! And in the meantime - we'll come over for some zucchini - just to help take it off your hands - and tomatoes too.