I've never had to struggle too hard with my weight. I danced every day for most of my life so I was pretty fit. I wish I had appreciated what I looked like back in those days. Why do we as women get so down on ourselves. We can't ever be happy for what we have or for what we look like, it seems like we are always thinking we need to be more than what we are. Watching these contestants last night I was thinking, "I weigh less than all of these people (well except Helen, way to go Helen!), yet I am not confident in the way I look." What is wrong with me??
Last year I was totally unmotivated about losing the weight after Aria was born. Thankfully my friend Natalie told me about the trainer she was going to. I signed up knowing that I needed a kick in the pants to get out of my funk. It was great having Natalie there with me, I loved having someone to commiserate with and help me laugh through the tough workouts. I lost 20 pounds and I was in the best shape of my life. After I stopped going I kind of slacked off a bit. I kept exercising, but not as hard as I had been, and I started eating junk again. Why do we do this to ourselves? I swear I am sabotaging myself and I am doing it knowingly!
Well I have been exercising very diligently these last four months but I can't seem to stop eating sweets. I know better, yet I keep doing it. Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone have any healthy snack options that might be able to satisfy my sweet tooth? Does anyone want to join me in my quest to master my food addiction? What else can we turn to when we are stressed, depressed and feeling a bit lonely? I could use all the help I can get, because I am feeling like the Biggest Loser lately and I don't mean that in a good way.
5 comments:
This is my favorite show for all the reasons you listed. It was so inspiring to me this season, mostly because of the contestants. They actually cared for each other and weren't in it just to play a game, for the most part. I must join in with you on not eating so many sweets, and junk! We need to chat.
Hello friend. This is something I stuggle with constantly and it seriously makes me feel good to hear that I am not alone. My life is so similar--I nailed my weight loss right after I had Anna and now I am 10 pounds heavier than I want to be. What happened? I really think what you are saying is right on about looking for alternatives to eating. But I also like what you are saying about loving ourselves just as we are. Sometimes I think it is the worry that we are not as thin as we want to be and we will "start something great tomorrow" that makes me at least eat poorly today.
Ha Ha, I'm just laughing because I sabotage myself every stinking day too. (And thanks for the chocolate coated popcorn, by the way.)
Now that the weather is nice we should try to do more outside. I miss you coming with me to Kevin too...I have to take the beating all alone :) You look amazing though--don't let a few sweets get you down. You gotta enjoy life...and chocolate :) Love you!
I enjoyed this season as well - when I got to watch it. I don't have issues with sweets, mine are the salty foods, but I can still relate. Instead of eating & snacking at night I turn to my crafts or writing. Anything I can do while relaxing but keeping my hands busy and my mind off the yummy goodies calling me from the kitchen :) Another tip I have is - if it's not in the house you can't eat it. Are you really going to go out at night and drive to the store to get sweets? It's easier to stop yourself from driving there then it is to walk the few steps to the kitchen.
Thanks for your comments on the blog :) My hubby is the same way.
Yah. I'm with ya, here. Fighting my sweet tooth is an ongoing battle. But I finally gave up. I don't mean throwing my hands in the air and not doing anything about it anymore... but I gave up on beating myself up over it.
When I get that desire for something sweet, I try to go for fruits first. If that's not going to satisfy the urge, and it usually does, a little fruit popsicle or cup of chocolate pudding are good low calorie options that I don't have to feel guilty about. I do try to stay away from packing my freezer with ice cream and my shelves with junk because I know that when it's gone, it's probably me who ate it all!
But a dessert here and there isn't bad either. It's all about portion size. You've heard it all before, I'm sure. But I find that if I try to eradicate sweet things entirely, it's going to fail because it's not sustainable, for me, long term. And then I find myself binging on sweets, then I feel bad about myself and then the cycle starts all over.
So a sweet here and there, I figure, is ok. Just size it right and keep it under control. I work out, I do my best, I have a sweet tooth...
I think you look great. I know you work out hard, you're healthy, you have a busy life. I hope you find something that helps you get over this funk...and when you do- share!
Post a Comment