Thursday, July 17, 2008

One Hectic Day

So today started off with a trip to the pediatrician for Chase and Aria's well checks. We did Hunter and Michela's a couple of weeks ago, so thankfully they weren't today also. Chase had his Kindergarten checkup. His eyesight was awesome, he showed the doctor is climbing and hopping skills and he weighed in at 40 lbs. and was 43" tall. He also had to get two shots and was totally tough. He was actually kind of enthralled when they pricked his finger and he watched them draw the blood up into the little tube.
Aria had her 18 month check up. She weighed in at 21 lbs. 4 oz. (9%) and was 31" tall (24%). She is still so petite but she charms everyone we meet. She also had to get a shot and only cried for a second. We then ran to the grocery store for some much needed food and cruised home for lunch.
After a short nap for Aria we were off for the Dentist to finish up the work on Chase, Michela and Hunter's teeth. Hunter was a stud and didn't make a peep the whole time they were working on him. He had to have two fillings and one baby tooth pulled. He was in the chair forever, but he was totally patient and didn't complain once. Michela had a couple of teeth sealed where she has been grinding them down. I can't believe all of my children grind their teeth in their sleep! I can hear them sometimes at night when I am walking by their rooms. I have to go in and hold their face until they stop doing it. It is like finger nails on the chalkboard.
Chase on the other hand was not so cooperative. After the first novacaine shot he was too freaked out and would not open his mouth. No matter how much cajoling and attempted trickery by the dental staff to get him to open his mouth he stubbornly defied them. We took a little breather and he was almost out the door before I came up with the plan to let him pick his prizes and let him hold them while the dentist worked on him. He also watched Hunter and Michela get worked on and witnessed how tough they were being. The dentist also decided laughing gas was in order and it got Chase going. He was soon joking and being a total clown with the dental assistants and decided to let his guard down. It was a marathon dental afternoon. We were there for almost 4 hours! I was so exhausted by the time we got home. It was hard enough going back and forth from room to room and reassuring the big kids, but I also had to run after Aria and keep her entertained the whole time. She is becoming quite the little mischief maker.
To top off the day we had a big laugh at family prayer. It was Hunter's turn and it went something like this. "I'm thankful I could get my tooth out today. I'm thankful we could get prizes at the dentist. Please bless that the tooth fairy doesn't get lost. And please bless that I don't lay on my pillow where the tooth fairy can't get my tooth and I squash her." I was trying so hard not to laugh through the whole thing. After the kids left the room to get in their beds Mike and I had a good chuckle. Thank goodness for the funny moments or the rest of our hectic lives might get the best of us.

3 comments:

amy jane carpenter said...

Cute post! Glad I'm not the only one who has to bribe and beg to get my little boy to do stuff. I'm not looking forward to his dentist appointment, but you've given me hope! :)

Thank goodness for cute moments, otherwise I think we'd all go crazy.

Sara said...

We also had dentist appointments yesterday... at 9:30 am... we were pulling out of the parking lot at 12:30 pm if that tells you anything... :{

Sara said...

I should also tell you that the last time Kaden needed a filling in one of his teeth, he accidentally saw the syringe of novacaine. Yeah... it took 4 hours to calm him down! Not exaggerating! We actually left and came back... TWICE! I had taken the whole day off work and was NOT giving in and coming back another day. And I am stubborn! But, unfortunately, so is Kade. He would not, WOULD NOT, open his mouth for anyone or anything. We left for a few minutes for him (and I!) to calm down and came back... Then the real hysteria set in. Weeping, wailing, knashing of teeth, curling up in a ball, you name it! It was ridiculous! But the Dentist was MORE than patient (slow day) and offered to try again. After much bribery, Kaden agreed he'd open his mouth if we went and got an ice cream cone (we were all starving after 3 hours there, so I gave in). We went back AGAIN after a prayer in the parking lot to calm his nerves,a few minutes of cell phone therapy for me from Matt and a pep talk for Kaden from Daddy. Aye carumba! I get nauseous even thinking of that day... Good times! :)