Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Family Fun in St. George

We were in need of a little vacation and decided a little trip down to St. George would be fun. I guess we weren't thinking it could be much hotter than Orem, but we were wrong! I've never taken so many showers, it seemed like you needed one everytime you stepped outside. But besides the heat we still managed to have lots of fun, thank goodness for the pool!

On our first day we checked out the Wildlife Museum. Matt and Sara went there a couple of months ago and said their boys loved it. It was actually pretty cool, maybe not $8 for adults cool, but still pretty fun. It was kind of like the Bean Museum at BYU, but much better.

I loved how they had a lot of the animals staged in action scenes. There were lions and hyenas fighting over a water buffalo, mountain lions jumping off of cliffs chasing after deer, a lion attacking a zebra and I loved the fox jumping up and catching the tail feathers of a bird in its mouth.

There was also a little playroom for the kids with dress up stuff and things they could do a little pretend play with. Michela threw on the hunter gear and Chase decided to get up close with the bear.

There was also a little gallery with all kinds and varieties of insects from around the world. There were butterflies, moths, walking sticks, beautifully colored beetles that looked like gems, spiders and much more. These tarantulas were HUGE! How would you like to wake up with those crawling around on your bed. Yikes!



Aria's favorite things to do were push the stroller around, that she was supposed to be sitting in and throw all the balls around in the gift shop.


Michela found this awesome stuffed lizard. She really wanted it, but I don't care how cool or big it is, I'm not paying $23 for a lizard! She will just have to settle for a picture of her with it.

On Saturday morning we went for a bike ride in Snow Canyon. It was so beautiful there. All the red rocks, cliffs and hills are amazing.


Mike rode with Hunter hooked on to the back of his bike, Michela was on her own and I towed Chase and Aria in the trailer.








It started out pretty fun, but then the climbing started. It wouldn't have been too hard, except for the fact that I was pulling 60-70 lbs. behind me. Michela, bless her heart, did the best she could and I was amazed at how far she made it before she had to push the bike. Chase would have loved to ride too, but he's still working on riding a bike without training wheels.

Going back down was so much fun. We hardly even had to pedal.
After the bike ride we went on a little hike to Jenny's Canyon. It was a pretty short hike to a slot canyon.

The kids loved climbing around on the little cliffs and in the holes in the rock.



Here's Hunter at the end of the hike. He was panting behind me so I had to swing around a get a picture of him. We lucked out on the weather, we had some nice cloud cover which kept the temperature down a bit.
We also saw "Wall-E" that day. What a cute movie! I absolutely loved it. Wall-E is the cutest little robot you've ever seen. It had a great message and lots of laughs.

On Monday we went to Fiesta Fun, kind of like the old school version of Boondocks. We stayed there for a few hours, but it was so darn hot! We played minature golf, where I got 3 hole in ones, rode the go karts, the bumper boats and had lots of fun in the arcade.

That night I took Hunter and Michela to Tuacahn to see "The Sound of Music". It started pouring when we were having dinner so I was a little worried that we wouldn't be able to see the show. Luckily it stopped raining as were were driving out there. We had to wipe down our seats and the show started a bit late, but it was still a great night. The production was wonderful. The lady playing Maria had a beautiful voice and the kids were all great. I loved how they used the hills behind the stage and actually drove a car out there too. My favorite scene was the "Lonely Goatherd" They used dancers for the marionettes and they did a wonderful job acting like floppy puppets. It was a perfect night and Michela and Hunter stayed awake through the whole thing. The licorice and reese's pieces might of had something to do with it. :) Five minutes after we got in the car to go home though, they were both fast asleep.

All in all we had a great time and made some more fun memories for our family to share. I still remember so many family vacations when I was growing up. My family still laughs about so many of them when we get together. I hope we are creating the same kind of memories for our kids to remember.

3 comments:

meg said...

That looks like so much fun! I love the holes in the rock the kids are in, those are cool pictures. We sure had fun with you guys out there, we're going through fun withdrawels...I had to take the kids to the Zoo today, still not as much fun without everyone. Miss you!

MiNdY said...

Oh my gosh.. I am jealous, like always when you go to St. George! How fun for you guys! I love the museum pictures. I better not let Cody see them, he will be saying, again, 'See, wouldnt that be awesome to have a cougar stuffed like that attacking a bear.. in our house!?'.
I dont know how you had the energy for the bike ride in the heat... :S That canyon looks awesome! Great pics! Seriously.. JEALOUS! :)

Sara said...

Oh... sigh... so fun! See? This is the same trip (Museum, Snow Canyon ride, pool...) we had a month ago when our camera battery died the first afternoon we were there. And the one thing I had forgotten to pack? The charger! BLAST! We called/shopped all over town for another battery or a charger and there were NONE to be found, so I am jealous of your fun pix! We got... yeah... NONE! We had such a great time and all I have are memories I can't show anyone! DANG IT! I'll just send them to your post and tell everyone to imagine our faces... hmmm... or maybe I'll swipe some of your pix and Photoshop our faces onto your bodies.... hmmmm.... SURE! In all my spare time! :)