Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Solar Eclipse

On Sunday we were excited to watch the solar eclipse.  Hunter had gotten a pair of these special glasses at school that we could watch the big event with.  We ran to the window at 6:30 to see it beginning.  Mike also brought out his welding mask which worked great.  It made the sun look green though, which gave it a radioactive creepy look.  The kids all took turns trading off between the glasses and the mask.

 I took a couple of pictures through the glasses and it worked pretty well.  Here is one at about 6:30.

Chase, Aria, and I were playing a board game, so about every 15 or 20 minutes we would jump up and look again.  Here is a picture from around 7:00.

At 7:30 we were anxious to see the full eclipse but instead we were greeted by a cloudy sky.  We couldn't see anything!
A cool view over the roof of our neighbor's house.

What a major bummer.  The kids all went off a bit disappointed.  About 15 minutes later Mike came inside and told us the clouds had cleared.  We ran out with our gear and saw this.


 Not the full eclipse put at least we got to see the progression of it.  This ended up saving the day for us.




Such a fun experience and I bet it will be one they will be remembering for the rest of their lives.  I can just see them now telling their kids and grandkids, "When I was a kid I got to see a solar eclipse!"

No comments: