I bought a butternut squash the last time I was at the grocery store, planning on using it to make Laina some homemade baby food. I kept putting it off for some reason, but not wanting it to go bad, I pulled it out of the fridge yesterday. I found this great little website on making your own baby food.
I cut the squash in half, put it flesh side down in a pan with an inch of water, and cooked it at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. The skin started to blister a bit and I was able to peel some of it off and easily scoop out the rest with a spoon. I put it in my blender with some water and pureed it up. I had to add water a few times until I got it to the right consistency for Laina. I added some to her rice cereal last night and she gobbled it up!
Now I have a container of homemade squash puree in my fridge.
I wonder what else I could throw it in? I have that recipe book about sneaking veggies into your food without your kids knowing, so maybe I'll have to try some of the recipes that use squash. I'll let you know if any of them work! I think I read somewhere that you can freeze it in ice cube trays and then just pull out a cube whenever you need it. I was so glad that she liked it. Now I can't wait to try out some more fruits and veggies.
2 comments:
You are so crafty and domestic! I love it and wish I was more like you!
Mauri,
I have the same cookbook and I love it!
By the way, I need the Benches to invite me to their private blog! :)
Post a Comment