Thursday, January 20, 2011

Favorite Books of 2010

I'm always getting asked for book recommendations, so I thought I would put together a little list of my favorite reads from 2010.

Picture Books:
Hooway for Wodney Wat by Helen Lester
Poor Rodney is made fun of at school because he can't pronounce his Rs. In the end he saves the day with his speech impediment and becomes the hero. Funny read and I think I loved it so much because Chase has the same problem.

Princess Pigsty by Cornelia Funke
A cute story about a Princess who doesn't really like acting how a Princess is supposed to. Aria loved it!

Kid's Books (Ages 9 and up):
The Ranger's Apprentice Series by John Flanagan
I'd heard about this series a long time ago and I even purchased the first book at a book fair, but never got around to reading it. It turns out I had been missing out on a great book. I've now read quite a few of the series and can't wait to hand them over to Hunter. Lots of adventure, great examples of friendship, loyalty, and courage.

Savvy by Ingrid Law
Quirky fun book about a girl who is about to turn 13 and receive her magical savvy. Mibs, two of her brothers, and a couple of friends go on a crazy adventure while they try to get to the hospital where her Dad is in a coma. Michela had a lot of fun reading this book too.

Young Adult Fiction:
The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
After reading the Warrior Heir series a couple of years ago I fell in love with the author's writing. This new series is every bit as good, but with a lot less violence. A story about a country in peril as the magicians try to take over the queendom. Interesting characters, lots of action, and lots of twists and turns.

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
I really enjoyed Westerfeld's Uglies series, but this is a total departure from that kind of story. A bit of Steam punk thrown in with an alternate reality. A war adventure with some strong characters, a lot of spunk, and some good laughs as well.

Fiction- Mystery:
Lemon Tart by Josi S. Kilpack
I thought I had this one figured out, but the author threw in a little twist in the end. I love surprises. A fun quick read with a fabulous heroine. And the icing on the cake is the wonderful recipes sprinkled throughout the pages.

Fiction- Romance:
The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
I love this author's writing. Her books all seem to have a little magical element to them. Her writing is magical as well. This story centers around a teenage girl living with her grandpa in a quirky little town. Here she befriends the next door neighbor who has some secrets from her past that she has been trying to run away from.

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Patillo
If you love Jane Austen's books, you'll have fun reading this book as well. Our modern day heroine is going through some trials which end up bringing her to England. Here she is on a quest to get a look at the "lost" letters of Jane Austen. But before she can see them, she must go on a treasure hunt of sorts through the life of Jane Austen.

Fiction:
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Amazing historical fiction that takes you back to the 1960s during the time of the Civil Rights movement. So many strong characters that you can't help but fall in love with. The writing is wonderful and it makes you feel like you are there with these incredible women. It really made me think, how would I have acted in these situations? A definite must read!

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
This book takes place around the same time as The Help but has a different tone. CeeCee has lived a hard life and after her mother dies she is taken in by her Great Aunt. The book is full of amazing women who help CeeCee come to terms with her past and work through her grief. I found myself crying and then laughing out loud all on one page.

Guilty Pleasure:
The Gallagher Girls Series by Ally Carter
My friend introduced me to these books saying she had bought them for her teenage daughters but ended up reading them herself and loved them. Fun reads with laugh out loud moments and lots of adventure. What isn't there to love about a boarding school for girls that ends up being a spy school training the spies of tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this blog for me. I take your book recommendations very seriously. I can't believe The Thief series didn't make your list. That must mean the others are GREAT.

Mom said...

Mauri I have been reading a book that I just love. It is called Winter Wheat by Mildred Walker. It has been so excellent I would recommend it to everyone. Aunt Linda