Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Yummy Science Fair Project

First off let me just say, yes, we are still alive over here. We have had almost two weeks of croup, runny noses, coughing, fevers, and pretty much anything else you could throw at us. Next year I will be making sure we all get flu shots! Aria is the only one that did and she came away with just a couple of nights of croup and a little bit of a stuffy nose. Mike described it best when he said, "I feel like I got run over by a bus."

It is science fair project time around here and of course Michela totally procrastinated her project and ended up having to switch it at the last minute. She ended up going with what would happen when you baked cookies right after making the dough and when you let the dough sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. This project was right up our alley being a family of total sweet tooths. The best part was that we got to be the taste testers. :)
We used an ice cream scoop to scoop out the dough.
This made perfectly shaped cookies. Mixing the peanut butter cookie dough, I'm drooling just looking at it.
After doing this project I will forever be refrigerating my dough. Just two hours in the fridge resulted in puffier and moister cookies. She did chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies.
The cookies on the left were the ones made from the refrigerated dough. The peanut butter cookies were the best I've ever had. Yum!! And the chocolate chip cookies were so perfect and looked beautiful. After doing a little research we read an article about how all the famous bakeries refrigerate their dough for like 36 hours! I don't think I could wait that long, but maybe we'll have to try it some day just to see.

2 comments:

meg said...

OK! I'm in charge of helping the kids with their science fair projects next year. What a great one! I guess I'll just have to keep dough in my fridge for when I need it...yeah, right! It will never make it to the pan if I leave it in there.

Sorry to hear you're all feeling sick, sounds like our house!

Lynette said...

Well thanks for the tip Mauri!! I have a friend that makes her cookie dough up and freezes it in balls so it is always ready when she wants to make cookies. I wonder how frozen dough measures up!!
Why don't you try that and then tell me how it rates!!! he-he
jUST being lazy but I do wonder how frozen dough compares....