Monday, October 26, 2009

A Big Sigh of Relief

Did you hear my big sigh of relief yesterday at about 12:15? I was sure it would be heard around the world. :) We had our primary program yesterday and it went so well! The kids sang their little hearts out and everything ran pretty smoothly, except for one small hiccup with the music stands. Let me explain.
Before sacrament meeting started I grabbed one of the music stands and placed it where I would be sitting for the program. For some reason there were three music stands in the chapel. After the sacrament I went and sat in my place and started getting my music out and my flip charts for the kids. The day before I had figured out a great system for the flip charts. I had put them on big rings and used magnets to keep them from falling off the stand while I flipped the pages. Well, our primary president starts introducing our program and I go to put the magnets on my first chart. THEY DIDN'T STICK! There was some weird coating on the stand which made it impossible for the magnets to stick. UH, OH! So I slipped behind the primary president, while she was still talking, and grabbed one of the two remaining stands.
Seated back down I quickly put up my first flip chart. The magnets stuck! But as I tried to raise the stand up it wouldn't budge. I frantically started twisting the bolt and luckily it came loose. When I stood up to lead the first song I pulled the stand up and it promptly went right back down. The bolt was stripped and it wouldn't stay tight. So I lead the first two songs without the flip charts because I couldn't get the stand up high enough for the kids to see it. Luckily the kids knew the first two songs pretty well.
I needed that third stand but I couldn't jump up in the middle of the kids who were standing in line to say their parts. Luckily I got the attention of one of the primary counsellors and she quickly jumped to my aid. She quietly crept over to the remaining stand, grabbed it and headed out the side door of the chapel. She then ran around the church to the other side and carried it up to the stand for me. I swear I must have looked like a 3 Stooges routine or something with all those stands piling up around me. The Bishopric must have either been very confused or very amused.
After we got the music stand situation under control everything went extremely well. The spirit was so strong and by the last song the tears were flowing all around, including a very emotional song leader's. I got so many compliments how well the kids sang. How thankful I am to be working in the primary. I love those kids so much and am so grateful I get to spend time with them every Sunday teaching them inspired songs with the most wonderful messages.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren's piano teacher says that the chorister has the most important job in the whole church--bar none. I bet you're a great song leader. That totally sounds like something that would happen to me (the 3 stooges part).

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

Funny, I was sitting in the front of the chapel and never noticed a thing! You guys covered it up pretty well (or I was too overcome with tears to see). Either way, it was amazing and I LOVED IT!! You are amazing!