Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Salmon Fishing in Yemen


Mike and I went to see this movie with some friends the other night.  I had heard about it a while ago, but then forgot what is was all about.  Our friends had suggested seeing it so I watched a trailer and was intrigued by the story.  A sheik from Yemen has estates in Scotland and has fallen in love with fly fishing for salmon in the rivers there.  He wants to bring this to his own people by building a dam, bringing water to a dry riverbed, and introducing this relaxing sport to the people of his land.  A rather far fetched idea, but a team is assembled to try and pull this crazy idea off.

Such a sweet story, full of heart and hope.  The only thing that ruins it is Kristin Scott Thomas' character that has a fairly foul mouth at times.  Why do so many screenwriters and authors feel the need to throw expletives around.  Do people really talk like this?  Did they think it was a bit of comic relief to have her character shouting four letter words at her son to get his attention?  Other than that I really enjoyed the movie.  Loved Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor in it.  They had a wonderful chemistry.  One of those feel good shows that leave you feeling like there is some good in the world after all.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

it was a good movie, but we enjoyed the company we were with better! :) Too bad about that language, huh?