Friday, February 10, 2012

Spelling Bee

Last night was the School Spelling Bee for Hunter and Chase.  Both Hunter and Chase had placed in the top three of their class spelling bees so they were both invited to participate in the school spelling bee for grades 3-6.  There were about 35-40 kids in total participating. 
                             
Hunter with his friend Michael
Chase with his fellow classmates.
 Chase got out fairly early, but from his seat beside me I heard him spelling correctly many of the words that were used throughout the competition.  Hunter kept getting his words right and the spelling contest went for over 2 hours!  After about an hour Mike took Laina home and Chase and I stayed to root for Hunter.  At about 8:30 the numbers started to drop drastically. 
Down to 9 kids.
I got so nervous every time Hunter stood up to hear his word.  My heart pounded as I thought, "Would it be a word that he knew?"  There were some times when I thought he was going to be out for sure, but then he surprised me with his spelling skills.
Hunter up at the microphone
The Top Three
He ended up taking 3rd place overall!  I was so proud of him for his efforts.  The top two kids were both sixth graders and he is a 5th grader.  The last few rounds I couldn't believe the words he was asked to spell and in comparison to some of the words that the other two kids were asked to spell.  I really felt like he was getting the more difficult and unfamiliar words.  He went out on literati.  He spelled it "literadi", but in his defense the pronouncer did pronounce it more like "literadi" then "literati".  I think Hunter was actually relieved to take third because that means he doesn't have to go on to the regionals.  I think the school spelling bee was plenty of pressure for him.

Michela participated in her school spelling bee last month as well.  The first round was a written test and they ended up taking the top 23 students.  Michela was number 22.  The second round was an oral Bee.  Michela told me she didn't want to do it so she was just planning on not showing up.  The day of the Bee she was sitting in science class when the Bee was about to start.  They called her name over the intercom and her science teacher made her go.  She took third place overall.  She came home made that she had only gotten third place.  I laughed at her and said, "Third place is the best place for you.  You said you didn't want to go to the regional spelling bee and third place is the highest you can get and not have to go."  Of course she didn't agree with my logic and went grumbling off.  Such a funny girl!

(Update:  After working on this post last night I received a call this morning.  The second place girl in the Jr. High spelling Bee has a scheduling conflict with the date of the regional spelling Bee.  Guess who is next in line?  That's right, Michela will be going to the regional spelling bee on March 17th.  Hope everyone will cheer for her wherever you are!)

No comments: