Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Trimming the Tree

I didn't think we would be getting a Christmas tree this year. For some reason Mike always fights me on getting a real tree. He wants to buy a fake tree and be done with it. We always had a real tree in my house when I was growing up. There are just some things that can't be compared between a real tree and a fake one. The smell, and seriously it's way better than a pine scented candle, the soft feel of the pine needles, going out to pick out that perfect tree, ... I even love watering it!
On Friday night Mike took Michela, Hunter and Chase out to get a tree. I was so happy when I saw it in the family room. Saturday morning I let the kids decorate it. Our tree growing up was always a mish mash of decorations and lights. There is something about that kind of tree that just says family and home to me. When Mike and I were first married I did the lovely color coordinated, beautifully decorated tree. It always felt kind of to prim and proper for me. When the kids starting coming along I went and bought a bunch of wood ornaments so they couldn't break them. We've just added random ornaments since then.
I always get a family ornament for each year and get the kids their own special ornaments too. I also love seeing all the fun ornaments that the kids have made in school over the years. Each ornament has a memory attached and that makes the tree even more special to me. Our tree might look like a haphazard mess to some, but it speaks volumes of love to me.
Here are some pictures of the kids putting up the ornaments.
Aria tried putting up some but she couldn't get them to stay. She would try just setting them on the tree and didn't realize that you had to put the hook or loop over a branch. It was pretty funny to watch her. Michela ended up helping her out until Aria got bored of it and just started playing with the ornaments instead.
Michela putting the angel on the top of the tree.
There's no better way to spend a Saturday with the family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet. Your post reminds me of a Christmas picture book we have--"Christmas Tree Memories" by Aliki. The family sees memories of their whole life when they think about the ornaments on their tree. We gave in a couple of years ago and bought a fake tree. I miss the real one.

Alex McMurray said...

Looks like fun. Of course, if you're allergic to real trees in the house, it's a recipe for disaster. You have to do what you have to do. The concert with Natalie Cole sounded like a lot of fun, too. Tonight, an Allison Staker is playing with three other women on two grand pianos at the Interstake Center. Do you know her?