It started out with a original piece by director Mack Wilberg called "O Come, O Come" which transitioned into "O Come All Ye Faithful". There was a children's choir that accompanied the Tabernacle choir and their sweet little voices sounded angelic. Natalie Cole was beautiful, gracious and her voice sounded divine. If you closed your eyes it sounded like you were listening to a CD, the sound in there is that good. I think my favorite songs that she did were "Grown Up Christmas List", "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing", and of course "The Christmas Song". This song always makes me cry. It reminds me of Christmases past and especially of my Dad.
The story part of the program was beautiful. David McCullough narrated stories about "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and "I'll Be Home for Christmas". With the orchestra playing behind him he told of how these two songs helped to bring hope to our nation during WWII. I read in the newspaper that the first time they rehearsed he almost fell of the stage when the Tabernacle choir started singing. He said their singing was so powerful that he wasn't ready for it. :)
I think my favorite song of all that night though, was "O Holy Night". This is one of my most favorite Christmas songs. There was so much emotion going on in that song, it was so powerful and the spirit was so strong. I wasn't the only one wiping away tears in the audience.
What a special night that was. I was scared I wouldn't have enough energy and that my stomach wouldn't allow me to go but I was determined. I went away feeling uplifted and full of the Christmas Spirit. Even though I had to lay down in the back of the car on the way home I was so glad I got the opportunity to go. Thanks again Tiff for the tickets!
2 comments:
Lucky girl! I wanted to go....I'm glad you gave the synopsis. It sounded like it was fantastic!
Oh Mauri that sounds so wonderful! I've only been to that concert one time and it still is enblazened in my mind as a real highlight. I'm so glad you got to go. My heart aches with empathy when you talk about your stomach. I know so much those feelings and where you are right now.
Post a Comment