Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Be Prepared

One of our family goals for this year is to get our 72 hour kits together. Last night for family home evening we got out or kits and took some inventory. The first thing was to make sure the kids had clothing that wasn't too small. Then we took out the food bags that Peggy gave us 4 years ago for Christmas. Yeah, I think it is time for some new food, don't you? We made lists of what we needed and I let the kids give some suggestions for food ideas. It was actually pretty successful. For the next few family home evenings we will be adding more things to our kits until we have them all ready to go. After that I think we will work on getting a car kit together. A really helpful blog that has some great lists or these kind of things is Safely gathered in .
So as we were finishing up our treat for the night and the kids were heading upstairs to get ready for bed when the power went out. Aria was so funny because she was still sitting at the counter eating the rest of her cake. After the initial shock was past I could hear her fork still clinking against the plate as she searched for the her last few bites. Of course I went straight to the cabinet to grab the flashlight and the batteries were dead. I went to the next place to look for a flashlight and the batteries were dead in that one too. Luckily Mike had one out in his truck and we lit a candle in the kitchen. Talk about a good object lesson! The kids were all excited that we had to get ready for bed with flashlights. Now we need to make sure all those flashlights go back where they belong so we can find them next time we need them. Unfortunately I laid there most of the night worrying about our food in the fridge and freezer. The lights went out around 8 o'clock and didn't come back on until around 2 :45 am. What a nice slap in the face when the hall lights flipped on and I had to go around switching off all of the lights that had been on when the power went out. Even the boys' room light came on, which they managed to sleep through, I don't know how. I still couldn't go back to sleep for a long time as I lay there thinking of all the things we need to do to be more prepared. Hopefully these weekly reminders for family night will help us get in gear and put my fears to rest.

3 comments:

amy jane carpenter said...

Thanks for the 72 hour kit reminder! I was thinking about it not too long ago that we needed to make new ones and had since forgotten! Our power went out too a few weeks back and I felt soooo unprepared. All our flashlights were dead or near dead (thanks to the kids always playing with them) and I've been trying since then to make sure I'm much more prepared and never have that unsettling feeling again the next time something like that happens.

Anonymous said...

I'm right at home with you. Here's an idea for 72 hour kits I picked up from somewhere--every general conference get them out again--eat or throw away the food--and try on the clothes.

Lynette said...

I am so into this too! I had a big plastic garbage can I kept in the basement in Denver when the kids were young with everything also so we could throw that in the van or whatever to go in a hurry. Remember to have a bucket for a potty also incase you don't have any water to flush toilets. It's called the luggable loo! I don't know why but I worry about that part of being displaced too. I have been thinking about that with the Haiti people. Where are they going to the bathroom?? Just in the streets and toppled buildings??? where?? uggh, Bless their hearts!