Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Opera

Last night we went to Hunter's 3rd grade Opera. Every year his teacher has her class make up an opera about anything they want to. They were studying the moon and the class decided that would be a fun thing to do the opera on. The whole class came up with the story, the characters and the songs. They had someone come in and listen to the songs and then go and write up the music for them. Pretty cool!
Here are the cast of characters- Astronauts, Aliens, Police Officers, Surfers and Ninjas. Only a bunch of 8 year olds could come up with a cast like that. The astronauts were stranded on the moon because their rocket blew up and the surfers had ridden a big wave to come and find the sea of tranquility, sadly they found that there is no water on the moon. The ninjas had been banished to the moon by the police officers because of their fighting and the police officers were there to keep the peace. The aliens were from Mars and they were searching for some humans to teach them how to make fire because they were cold on their planet. Talk about imagination! In the end they all helped each other and the aliens took them all back to earth in their rocket but took the ninjas with them to Mars so they could be the aliens' "ultimate fighting machine". Ha, Ha, Ha, ...
It was super cute and they all did such a good job with the songs and choreography. I got to be in charge of the costumes and had some great Moms who helped me out. We kept it really simple and the kids loved their outfits. Here's a picture of Hunter as a Ninja and his best friend Adam as an Alien.
Here's another one of Hunter sitting with some of the surfers before the show started.
Hunter is showing me some of his Ninja moves in front of the earth he helped paint for part of the scenery.
Can I tell you how much I am loving his new school and class! I've really enjoyed how his teacher is making learning so much fun and giving them so many creative opportunities.
What a fun night we had watching Hunter participate in something I never would have dreamed he would want to do. And the best part was hearing all the dads say how much they had enjoyed The Opera.

2 comments:

meg said...

How fun!! That is pretty creative, love the costumes and the set. What a fun night! I hope you got some video of that.

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

I hope you don't mind I'm copying most of your text for my blog. It was just perfect, Mauri :) I'll give you copyright credits, don't worry. THX! Love you!