Megan, my SIL, has been doing these weekly photo challenges for a while. Her photography skills have gotten so good! You are supposed to take a picture a day that goes along with the challenge topic of the week. I keep meaning to join in, but my good intentions don't seem to ever come to fruition. When we were down in Zion's the challenge was textures. What a perfect challenge for our trip. I kind of cheated though, all of these textures were taken in the two days we were down there. Here are some of my textures.





First you create a new document, then you drag your photo in. Next you drag the texture photo in on top of your picture layer. Then you change the blending mode on the texture layer to whatever you want. I really like Soft Light, but Overlay adds a bit more contrast and gives the picture a little more punch. Lower the opacity to your liking and if there are people in the picture I suggest erasing the texture on their face, any skin that is showing (you don't want them to look like a lizard or something) and maybe lightly erasing it on some of their clothing. And there you have it!
This beautiful rock texture

+ this adorable picture of Aria

= this unbelievable picture.
I love the rough texture, which makes it look like an old picture that has been kind of beat up over the years. I also love how her smooth baby skin contrasts with the texture. And the warm glow is fantastic!
I love the rough texture, which makes it look like an old picture that has been kind of beat up over the years. I also love how her smooth baby skin contrasts with the texture. And the warm glow is fantastic!The texture of the red rock sandstone in Snow Canyon

+ a picture of Ponte Vecchio in Florence

= this warm and antique looking photo.

For this one I used two textures: One of the bark on a tree
and one of a grassy bush on our hike in Snow Canyon.

+ this desaturated picture of the kids at the pumpkin patch
= this fun and funky picture.

Some more beautiful red sandstone

+ a picture I took of my kids walking in the fall leaves

= this warm and glowing picture.
I wish I had known how to use textures last year so I could have this version hanging on my wall.
This texture of a gravel road
I wish I had known how to use textures last year so I could have this version hanging on my wall.This texture of a gravel road

+ this picture of the Flat Iron building in New York 

= This awesome picture.
I used the Hard Light Blending Mode and it ended up looking like a painting by Surat. Such a cool effect, don't you think? What kind of textures can you find in your photos?
I used the Hard Light Blending Mode and it ended up looking like a painting by Surat. Such a cool effect, don't you think? What kind of textures can you find in your photos?
3 comments:
AWESOME pictures!!! I can't wait to go out and take more texture pictures! I need to look through some of my pictures and start playing! I love the texture one of the kids walking, what's stopping you from printing a new version? :) Love it!!!
Very cool! I'm so jealous, I wish I knew more about photography.
Will you be putting up pics when you finish the room? I'd love to see it, sounds interesting!
This is so cool Mauri. You are really talented. I honestly never knew about things like this until your blog.
Post a Comment