Thursday, September 24, 2009

Curtains, Curtains, and More Curtains

So I have been spending quite a lot of time in my sewing room lately. Usually this would be a time to rejoice but not this time. I have been working on a project for my husband for the last month. I am making curtains for this new office building that he is doing the flooring for. A lot of the walls inside of the building are windows. They want to be able to pull curtains over the windows when they want a little privacy.
Now I first heard about this project in May. My husband said he wanted to give a bid on the curtains for this new building and he wanted to know if I wanted to sew them. They didn't need to be done until the end of October. There were 36 curtains in all and they were all about 9' tall.
The pay was good and I had all summer to work on them so I said Yes! Well, I didn't hear anything about them after that so I assumed the builders had gone with someone else.
In August my husband told me that he needed to order the fabric for the curtains so I could get started on them. What?! He then told me that they needed to be done by the end of September. What Again?! I told him there was no way I would be able to do them. Then his business partner said I would have until the end of October. Mike figures I can sew all day while the kids are gone, but I've got a 2 year old at home. I don't know about you, but I don't really think plunking your 2 year old in front of the TV all day is considered good parenting.
So now you can all see why I haven't been blogging much lately. I haven't been doing anything much lately except sewing. The fabric is kind of sheer and it has little horizontal stripes running through it. The fabric is almost 10' wide so it is a bear to work with. Luckily Mike and I have figured out a pretty good cutting process. We get it all squared up and then we use a chalk line, you know the kind you can snap (think Home Depot here), and then cut it. It probably wouldn't be too bad to work with but it has those darn stripes that I have to match up and it is pretty slippery. So that means lots of pinning. And don't get me started on the endless hours of pressing!
Here is my newest enemy, snap tape.
I have to sew this stuff on to the top of all of the curtains because they are all going on a track system. This stuff is all wonky and pretty thick. I have to wrestle it to lay straight. And then there is the problem of having to cut it and piece it together so that there are snaps at both ends.
Here is my stack of finished curtains.
Luckily Mike found another lady to help me out with the sewing. Hopefully she will work out. We just sent home three curtains for her to sew.
Well, I'd probably better get back to sewing. I just needed to get some of that off my chest. Now you won't hear another complaint out of me about these curtains again! I've got about 3 more weeks of curtain making ahead of me and then I will have more time for some fun projects again. (Oh yeah, I have to have them done by October 15th now.)
Yesterday Hunter was watching me and he said, "It must be boring to sew all day." That made me so sad. I replied, "Actually sewing all day is usually really fun. Like when I get to make cool costumes for you guys, or cute skirts for the girls or fun stuff for the house. I usually love to sew!" He kind of looked at me like I was crazy. Then I wound a new bobbin and he thought that was pretty cool. :)

5 comments:

Kris Tina said...

Another reminder that I need to learn how to sew. Nice work.

meg said...

You aren't done with those yet? :) Teasing! Sometimes doing what you love for "work" isn't so fun anymore.

The Benches said...

Good luck! That is such a daunting task! Looks like you are doing a great job though!

Anonymous said...

Mauri--I am probably right in guessing that the owner of that building is a man who has NO idea what he was asking when he finally got his order in by August for you. I wish you lived by me and we would take Aria over here in a minute so you could sew without guilt! Good luck!

MiNdY said...

You are AMAZING!