Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Don't Want to Get a Shot!

While looking through the pictures on my phone I found this lovely one.  This is Laina at her 18 month check up.  She was perfectly happy to be running around in her diaper and Aria's sparkly shoes.

This reminded me that I never blogged about our trip to the doctor that day.  It was Laina's 18 month check up and Aria's 5 yr. check up.  When we pulled into the parking lot at the doctor's the crying began. Aria kept repeating over and over, "I don't want to get a shot!"  As we got out of the car and I had to drag her across the parking lot to the building it turned into a scream, "I Don't Want to Get a Shot!!!"  In the waiting room she burst into tears and clung to the chair as I tried to reassure her that everything would be okay and we didn't even know if she would need a shot or not.  Of course her crying freaked out Laina and I had two crying girls on my hands.  Thankfully they got us back to the exam room quickly because the other little girl in the waiting room was starting to get stressed out.  Every single little thing we had to do became the biggest headache.  Stepping on the scale, measuring her height, taking a vision test, ...  they were all over shadowed by the thought of the dreaded shot.  We were there for over an hour and a half because it took so much coaxing to get anything done.  And the lovely peeing in a cup for the Kindergarten check up, I won't tell you how much fun that was.

When the doctor came in, without any shots in sight, Aria began to calm down a little.  After her checkup I gave her my phone and she was happy to sit there and play while Laina got checked out.  We were very careful in discussing the shot issue and Aria seemed oblivious to our discussion.  When the doctor left the nurse came in with the tray full of needles.  One for Laina and two for Aria.  When Aria saw the tray she went into hysterical mode.  She jumped up from her chair and started pushing the chairs in front of her at the two nurses.  Her screams of, "I DON'T WANT A SHOT!" had reached new levels by now and I was sure the entire office building could hear her.  Oh how I wished I had recorded the craziness because it was actually quite funny and I think it would have been a You Tube sensation.  I finally had to hand Laina off to one of the nurses and I scooped up Aria, kicking and hitting me, and wrestled her down on the table.  She screamed at the top of her lungs the entire time and I felt so sorry for that poor nurse.  When it was finally over I held her hand as she whimpered out of the office.  We went and got her a cookie for her trouble and thankfully drove home.  Good thing she won't be having to get anymore shots for a while,  I'm exhausted just writing about it.

3 comments:

meg said...

So funny! That was the first thing Logan said when he split his head open and I said we're going to have to go to the hospital, "I don't want a shot!", he said with a whimper.

Kids and shots just don't mix, luckily the Krispy Kreme is next door for a little incentive.

Lynette said...

OH my goodness that was a good story! I am sooo sorry, that would be so hard. I don't ever remember having to go through that with any of my kids. So I feel so bad for Aria. She will for sure be hard to take to the doctor for anything for quite sometime. You better not take the two together again so Laina won't play off Aria's hysteria and become afraid of Dr.s also. Dang shots!! I don't like them either. :(

Chelsea said...

Sounds like you need a trip to Maui ;)
I feel bad for your girls though, i hate shots too!