Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grandma Staker


Yesterday we attended the funeral of Mike's Grandma.  Waiting in the room for the family prayer I glanced over at her and thought, she needs her glasses!  She just didn't look the same without them.  It was a wonderful service, full of fun stories, laughter, and tender moments.  So many memories of her were shared from her love for the Jazz, her amazing pancakes and pies, her funny sayings, and her great love for her family and friends.  I was impressed with what a strong woman she was.  She helped raise her brothers and was without her parents at an early age.  She was a strong member in the church and raised six beautiful children.  She lost her husband when she was just 69 years old and has lived independently since then.  She was an amazing woman who will be sorely missed.
Grandma with Chase
Some fun memories I have of Grandma Staker:

Mike brought me down to her house when we were engaged and we spent the night there.  Before he went upstairs to his room for the night he warned me that there were bats in the attic.   I hate bats, so I looked at Grandma Staker and asked her if he was joking.  She laughed and said, " it's true, but I don't think they'll come downstairs."  I closed my door tight that night and kept an eye out for the bats just in case.

She made me a beautiful quilt for our wedding and the whole Staker clan signed it at my bridal shower.

Staker Family gatherings at her home down in Mt. Pleasant.  The Memorial Day parties were the best.

Staker Family Halloween parties.  She always dressed up and loved seeing all of the great grandchildren in their costumes.

Her laugh.

"Cute, cute, cute."

When you asked her a question she would always start her reply with, "well..."

Signing her guest book at the house.

She had a wedding to attend that was just around the corner from our house a few years ago.  We drove down and picked her up from Mt. Pleasant and had such a fun drive back to Provo chatting away.  That night after the kids were put to bed we asked Grandma if she wanted to watch a movie.  I don't know how we ended up deciding on "Napoleon Dynamite", but she seemed interested.  I was worried as to what she would think but she ended up giggling through the entire movie.

I just loved this sweet lady.  She made me feel so welcome in her home and in her family.  I truly felt like one of the grand daughters and knew she loved me and my family.  I will miss her sweet face and her hugs.  Love you Grandma!


2 comments:

Lori said...

I loved reading your memories of grandma. I hope it's ok that I copied them to put with the other memories from her grandchildren. XOXO

Anonymous said...

What sweet memories! Thanks so much for sharing those!