Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Break in Zions

PhotobucketAt the last minute we decided to take a little family trip down to Zions National Park for Spring Break. We contemplated renting a camper trailer and camping down there, but (thankfully) changed our minds and ended up at this nice lodge. The Cable Mountain Lodge is right outside the entrance to the park. We had a little suite that had a sofa sleeper, murphy bed, and a master bedroom so there was plenty of room for the 7 of us. We brought down a portable crib for Laina, but she didn't actually sleep very much in it. She ended up in our bed every night, so that tells you how much sleep I got! There was a little kitchen in the suite, so we were able to make our own breakfast and lunch. There was a heated pool and the kiddies even went for a swim. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.
We left on Saturday and ended up driving through a blizzard! I can't believe all the snow, hail, and slush. We saw quite a few cars which had slide off the road and even one that had flipped onto it's roof. Crazy stuff! We stopped in Cedar City for dinner and upon walking in we see my cousin Stasie and her husband Brent. They moved to Cedar City this past year. It was so fun to see them and to be able to chat with them for a few minutes. We also ran into some people we know, the Blanchard family, from home who were going down to Zions too. Such a small world.
On Sunday we watched the Music and the Spoken word before we took a bike ride into the park. The Parus trail is the only trail you can ride bikes on in the park. It starts at the bottom of the park and goes up to Canyon Junction. I hauled Aria and Laina up in the bike carrier. They had a lot of fun and Laina even got a nap on the way back down. Our only hiccup was when Hunter took a nose dive on the pavement. He was able to get back on his bike, but he sure bruised up his knees. Good thing he was wearing a helmet!
The weather was beautiful on Monday, perfect for hiking. We loaded up some lunch and headed for the shuttle. We did the Weeping Rock hike and the River Walk up to the Narrows. Both trails were paved so we were able to push Laina in the stroller. Here is Weeping Rock. Photobucket
When we got to the Narrows we saw all of these rock towers on the river bank. PhotobucketPhotobucketThe kids wanted to try doing some of their own. PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketMichela wasn't satisfied with any old tower, she attempted one in the river. PhotobucketPhotobucketAria and Laina were worn out so we headed back to the Lodge. The kids went swimming in the pool while Laina and I took it easy in our room. That night we went to the Giant Screen theater and watched "Rango". One word to describe this movie, "weird". This was definitely not a kid movie. I didn't hear one laugh out of the them the entire time. I must admit the animation was pretty cool though. All of the characters are animals, but after a while you start to forget that they are animals, they seem so life like and their movements and facial expressions are so human.
Tuesday we packed Laina in the backpack and headed up the trail for the Emerald Pools. PhotobucketIt was so beautiful. Everywhere you look these incredible red rock cliffs loom over you. PhotobucketPhotobucketAria and I had fun chatting as we walked up to the first pool. Once getting there Aria announced she had to go potty. There are no bathrooms on the trail and nowhere to go off trail. So I strapped on the backpack and hiked down the trail with Aria to go find the bathrooms back at the Zion Lodge. Mike took the older kids up to the middle and upper pools. I really wanted to see these, but I guess I'll just have to wait until the next time. Here are some pictures that Michela took.PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
After lunch Mike took Michela, Hunter and Chase to do the Canyon Overlook hike. This is one I really wanted to do, but alas it is not one I wanted to take Aria on. There would be too many places for her to fall. After Mike told me about the hike I am glad I wasn't there with them. I have no problem with heights but I tend to freak out a bit when I see my children next to any kind of drop off. I made them take the camera with them so I could see the pictures. PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketGorgeous views!
We had lots of fun and ate some yummy food. We tried out the Zions Pizza and Noodle Company, Casa de Amigos, and the Flying Monkey's. We also made a few purchases at the Springdale Candy Company and ate some famous Bumble Berry Pie. Springdale is such a quiet and quaint little town. I loved riding the shuttle to get wherever we wanted to go. Photobucket I can't wait to go back there again in a few years when the kids are a little bit older. Maybe then I'll get to do some of the harder hikes with the kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are seriously the cutest family.

meg said...

Awesome. Sounds like it was so much fun, minus the not sleeping too well and potty breaks. Ha! Love the pictures, they look like they're from a different time.

Chelsea said...

Awesome! I love Zion National Park. What a fun trip and great pictures! We went camping in Snow Canyon for Spring Break, so we were enjoying similar red mountains and desert sun! Only...I am STILL washing the smoke smell out of camp clothes!