
In March Hunter had to do an assignment on an important person in Utah's history. He ended up with Chief Black Hawk. He got on the computer and did a bunch of research. I was proud of him for working on it himself. I kept telling him to make sure he was looking for a Chief Black Hawk from Utah. After he was done with his research he let me look through it. He had written that Black Hawk was born in Illinois. I asked him how he had ended up in Utah. "I don't know," was Hunter's reply. Then I noticed the dates seemed a bit fishy, so I told him to check it out some more.
The day before it was due he showed his report to Mike and I. After Mike read through it he asked, "are you sure the Black Hawk war started in the 1830s? There were no Mormons in Utah in the 1830s." So I sat down with Hunter and helped him with his internet search. We ended up finding the right Chief Black Hawk and Hunter had to do his report all over again. Bummer. It was funny though, on the night of their presentations I noticed that the other students who had done Chief Black Hawk reports had all the info about the Illinois Chief. Hunter and I got a kick out of it. Here he is in his Indian Chief costume. We made the headress and the necklace. Next time he has a report I'm sure he'll check his facts before he does any final drafts.
3 comments:
Well did you read that it was was great grea Grand father John Lowry that got Chief Black Hawk mad because of John pulling one of Chief Black Hawks Indians off of his horse and it started the Black Hawk war?
Yes I did, but I told Hunter he might not want to offer up that he was related to the man who started the war! Ha, Ha, ...
LOL, you should be proud to be related to someone with so much "passion". :)
Post a Comment