Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Member of the Evil Society

The other night I was talking to my sister downstairs as she was getting ready to leave. This is the conversation we overheard going on upstairs by my children.

Hunter- "Mom is a member of the Evil Society."

Michela- "She is not."

Hunter- "Yes she is, because she makes us do all her work." (This was Saturday. On Saturday we clean the house.)

My jaw probably dropped to the floor when I heard this.

Chase- "She makes us do our chores."

Hunter- "Last year she didn't make us clean the toilets and now she does."

Michela- "That's because last year we were stupid babies who didn't know how to do anything."

Tiffany and I are trying to hold in the laughter.

Hunter- "Well, she's evil because she makes us do her chores."

I couldn't hold it in any longer, so I chimed in, "I don't pee on your toilet seat do I? I'm the one who cleans your toilet seat and I'm not the one who pees on it." (They just scrub the bowl right now with the toilet brush and I wipe the toilet down.)

I hear a gasp and then they start laughing.

I had to laugh, how could I not? At first I was a little hurt that I always seem to come off as the big meanie parent. Why is it that the Mom always ends up as the witch and the Dad is the do no wrong parent? When he is home he is always asking them to help clean up and do little jobs, but the blame always comes down on me. I guess I'd rather come off as the bad cop and teach my children to be responsible and self sufficient than be their "best buddy" and have to take care of them for the rest of their lives.
I read this really great book a few years ago called "The Parenting Breakthrough" by Merrilee Browne Boyack and it has this plan to teach your kids to be independent. I really loved a lot of the ideas in the book. When my kids move away from home I want to know that they will be able to take care of themselves and will appreciate the value of hard work. I still have a long way to go but I know I'm truly helping my kids when I teach them how to clean a toilet and how to manage their money. Maybe I'll have to be the bad guy for a little while, but I think it's worth it.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I remember thinking, when I was a little kid, that the only reason my mom had children was so we could clean the house for her! Oh, how wrong I was...but now I am a part of that same "evil society" you belong to! Doesn't time have a way of turnig things back on us? I still apologize to my mom for thinking that way, and she just laughs. Now she knows that I know...ha ha!