Friday, May 9, 2008

New York Baby!

Well I've finally gotten around to looking through my pictures from New York and picking a select few to post.  I went with my sister Tiffany and my good friends Natalie and Jenny.  We had so much fun!!!  The weather cooperated most of the time and we got to do and see so many things.

The subway was my favorite mode of transportation, except for our last day when half of the trains weren't running (Ugh!), but we also rode on the bus, the taxi (my life flashed before my eyes), a private car and a ferry boat.
We got there early enough on Wednesday that we were able to squeeze in a show.  Spamalot was hilarious, totally childish and Clay Aiken was even quite good (total shocker to me).  The next night was Wicked.  

Oh my goodness, that was an amazing musical.  I loved it so much I was totally crying at the end because I was just overcome with how incredible the music was, the acting, the powerhouse singing, the sets, the costumes ...  I could just go on and on.  I am so glad that I finally got to see it!  It was more than I had even imagined.  It is coming to Salt Lake next year, so everybody be ready to get your tickets.  Friday night was spent with Miss Mary Poppins.  What a cute show!  The sets were so cool, thank you Disney, the children were adorable and Bert was awesome.  My favorite number was of course the chimney sweeps, Bert and Mary doing "Step in Time".  It was also pretty cool to see Mary Poppins flying over the audience.
On Thursday we went to the Met.  We could have spent all day there and then some.  There were some incredible exhibits.  I loved being able to see so many paintings by renowned artists.  I loved the Egyptian art and they had a great exhibit on musical instruments.  My favorite had to be the Asian art, especially the Japanese art.  Here I am in the Buddha room with my new friend the Graceful Giantess.

We then spent the rest of the day in Central Park.  This was my first time in Central Park and luckily the weather was gorgeous.  The park is huge!  We strolled all over it.  We visited the castle where Jenny and I performed "How do you Know" from Enchanted.


We walked through the rambles, almost got lost, and found the Bow bridge completely by accident.  I messed around in photoshop with this picture and I think it turned out pretty cool.

We also stumbled across a photo shoot, we think for a fashion magazine and enjoyed Betheseda Fountain and the Boat house.

The next day we went to the Statue of Liberty. The last 
time I went to New York it was right after 9/11 and you 
couldn't go in the Statue. This time we were able to go 
through the museum and out onto the observation deck
on the pedestal. We also had to climb like 160 stairs which 
didn't go over to well with Natalie and her pregnant belly. 
At the top of the stairs you can look through a glass ceiling 
and see the inside structure of the Statue. It's pretty cool 
and you can see the tiny little staircase that people used to 
walk up to get to the top of the Statue.


We then froze our rears off sitting in the top of the tour bus for a little ride around Downtown Manhattan. Next time I 
think I will stick with the subway.

We spent sometime shopping that night and the next day.  
There are so many cool little shops in SoHo and the best 
warehouse shoe store in Union Square. I didn't get to shop 
half as much as I wanted to, but if I had I wouldn't have 
done anything else! Our last night was spent in Brooklyn 
where we went to Tiffany's favorite chocolate shop, 
Jacques Torres. The hot chocolate was so yummy and 
really helped to warm our cold little bodies. There were 
so many different chocolates, cookies and goodies 
that I could have spent some serious cash there and 
put on a few extra pounds as well. We then waited in 
line for some delicious pizza at Grimaldi's Pizzeria.  
The place was jam packed and the line was pretty long 
but we stuck it out and finally got a table. I felt like I was 
at some dance club waiting outside to be picked to go in.
 

 





Thanks Jen, Nat and Tiff! I had the best time with you guys and have so many fun memories of our trip together. I 
can't wait for our next trip! Love you guys. 
From Speed Racer :)

6 comments:

meg said...

That it! I better be invited to the next girl getaway! Looks like you had so much fun!

Lynette said...

Hey Mauri, Dan and I went to NYC last June and we did not see any of those things in the park (mostly because we never really saw the park) only a teensy bit!) SO I can't wait to go back and check out all those places you talked about. We did see Wicked and Spamalot. Loved them both. We also saw Hairspray. For sure I am going to go see Wicked again when it come to SLC. Thanks for sharing. I', making my new list of things to see.
Auntie L

Chelsea said...

It sounds like you had so much fun Mauri! What an awesome idea to travel with your friends and leave the kids behind (sorry Mike, I mean you too)! I've never been to NY, and never really wanted to, until I read your post! I'll have to add it to my list....

The Benches said...

Girl trips are the best! Looks like you had a blast! YAY!

Carrie and Emily said...

I love NYC too. I second any applause for "Wicked." What a great trip! --CARRIE

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

Thanks for making it such a fun trip! Now you got "How do you know?" song from Enchanted in my mind :)

Love you!

Natalie