
Last night we had a little family adventure. On our way home from Mike's parents house I was informed by our neighbor that the power was out in our neighborhood. She said the power company said it should be on by 9:30 pm. It was about 8:00 when we got home and as we pulled up we remembered, duh, we can't get the garage doors open if the power is out. And then I looked at the keys and realized that Mike had grabbed the keys that didn't have a house key on them. Great, we were now locked out of the house. So we tried the windows and hopefully looked for a spare key that might have been hidden during construction, but we were out of luck.
So we hung out at our neighbor's house and the kids played and we chatted until it got dark. Ben and Natalie offered their couches and basement to us, but Mike was sure the power would be coming on any minute. So we went and got cozy on our patio furniture and waited. Ben came over with sleeping bags, blankets and flashlights. (Thanks you guys!) The kids and I laid out on the grass until someone said they needed to use the bathroom. We then had to invade the Peterson's bathroom in the pitch black with our little flashlights. Hunter and Chase went into the bathroom first and after a few seconds came out and Hunter said, "Mom, the lights aren't working in the bathroom." I started cracking up and had to remind him that the power was out everywhere. :)
We finally all got comfy on the sleeping bags and tried to go to sleep. Mike then got a call from Natalie saying now the power company said the power wouldn't be on until 11:30. Now I was thinking we would be camping out all night. It was a lot of fun laying there under the stars and the big full moon listening to the kids talk and giggle. We even had a little fireworks show up the street. Luckily the weather was perfect and there was a light cool breeze blowing. The kids and Mike finally fell asleep and I just laid there looking at my sweet sleeping children. It was impossible to fall asleep with Aria laying right next to me with her arms flailing around every five minutes or so. It was fun until I started worrying about if the power came on in the middle of the night while we were sleeping and the sprinklers came on and soaked us. At 11:15 I heard the AC click on and then I saw the neighbor's outdoor lights come on and I jumped up, scooped Aria into my arms and made a beeline for the garage door and the comfort of our home. The kids don't even remember how they ended up in their beds. It will be a great memory, one of those things we will laugh about in years to come. Now we just have to figure out where to hide a key. :)
9 comments:
That is such a fun family memory! I love it when crazy things like that happen. Talk about a bonding moment!
Wasn't it fun??? I felt badly that you guys were out there so late, but on the other hand--my kids were wishing they could stay out under the stars too. Just like camping! Next time we need to start the campfire and roast some 'mallows!
Natalie
Great story! Sounds like what would have been a bad situation turned into some family fun! When Brian and I switched our locks, we forgot to make a spare and hide a key somewhere. For the first little bit, we were constantly getting locked out! It was so annoying! Good thing you had great friends take care of you!
Sounds so fun. I love stuff like that. Gave you a good excuse to get out there! Otherwise how often do we take time to do stuff like that.
Wow! My kids would of loved that when they were little. I would of been running around planning on the power being off all night and setting the tent up or something. I wasn't laid back at all back then. Now I would be more fun....I think.
Love Auntie L
I loved that story. I had to keep reading to see what happened. Thanks for sharing all of that. The boys in the bathroom with no light on was the funniest.
Might I suggest the Peterson's or your favorite bother, Matt's house... a stellar choice, either way... and safer than under a rock somewhere! :)
What a fun adventure... good thing nights like that are few and far between! :)
Oops, that was supposed to say "BROTHER", not "bother"... but either way, I guess!
Aww.. Sometimes I just WISH our power went out so we could do that kind of thing :) It does make you realize how much we depend on power! Eeek!
Post a Comment