Thursday, January 16, 2014

My New Year - 2014

For the last few years I have seen people choosing a Word for the year instead of making resolutions.  I thought I would take a stab at it this year.  I've been mulling it over and I think I have finally come up with my word for 2014.

Persevere

I found this definition that I thought really went with what I wanted to do this year.

persevere:  to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly.

Last year I felt like I had a year of giving up.  I was exercising really well and then I got hurt in February.  After multiple chiropractor appointments, doctor visits, working with athletic trainers, and an MRI I still haven't figured out what is wrong with me and how to make the pain go away.  Because of this I have started and stopped exercising many times over the last year, giving up when it got too hard. I let my healthy eating go because it was just too hard to try to eat good when my family wasn't on board with me.  It resulted in a year of bordering on depression again and feeling like I wasn't accomplishing anything in my life.  

Then a few bright spots entered in.  I finally found an adult dance class that I LOVE!  It's so fun dancing with ladies my own age and especially with my sister.  The teacher is fantastic and so full of energy, her good vibes just feed your soul.  I have also been doing a lot of Family History Work this past year.  Mike and I have been able to take Michela and Hunter a few times this year to the temple to do baptisms and I've also been able to give names to other family members so they can get involved as well.  I have so many names to do work for and find new names every day!  It is such a wonderful way to spend some of my extra time and helps bring the spirit into my life and my home.  

My sister in law, Stephanie, introduced me to the Green Smoothie Girl and I have really fallen in love with her 12 Steps to Whole Foods Program.  I have resolved to get my family eating healthier this year and we are taking it one step at a time.  This month it is introducing green smoothie into our diets.  We have been making smoothies for a long time, and I've been drinking green smoothies, but my kids have shied away from the green stuff.  I decided this month that we would try to have green smoothies every morning.  




Somedays have been better than others.  Some kids have been more stubborn than others, but they have finally all come around!  I think these green smoothies are really helping with their digestion and I love the fact that they are starting off their morning with a power boosting start.

So my goal this year is to Persevere.  To not give up and to stay the course in the changes and decisions I am making to improve my life and my family's.  I know it won't always be easy and that we won't be perfect everyday, but I also know that I have the strength to keep going.  

No comments: