I saw this tutorial for using some old pants to make maternity pants on megan nielsen's blog. I used it for reference but I had to change a few things. I'm not a big fan of the under the tummy panels for maternity pants. I must confess that I don't have much junk in my trunk so these kinds of pants tend to end up half way down my rear way too often.
I found some really cute jeans at D.I (a thrift store) for $8 which fit me great in the legs and behind. I could zip them part of the way up, which is important because you will need to have some of the fly on the pants.
1. First step is to take the waistband off the pants. I took a seam ripper to mine but you could probably cut it off too. I didn't want to lose any of the back length so I choose to unpick the stitches.
2. I then put them on, zipped them up as far as I could get them and marked where my tummy would start needing some room. Then I used a marking pencil and made a curved cutting line from the side seams to my front marking line. Remember that you want to make your line about 1/2" above where you want to sew so you have some seam allowance. I also pinned the pockets in place because I would be cutting off the part where they were stitched at the top.
3. I took out the zipper, sewed up the fly and then cut along my marked line.
4. Next I took an old fitted t-shirt and cut off the top portion. I placed the shirt over my pants and marked a cutting line that matched the curve of my new waistline on my jeans. Remember you need about a 1/2" seam allowance. Cut along this line. Luckily my t-shirt almost perfectly matched the width of the waist on the jeans. If it is too big you'll have to sew up new side seams to match the pants.
5. I then pinned the shirt and jeans together, right sides together, and stitched them up using a 1/2" seam allowance. I also serged the edges to finish them and keep the jeans from raveling.
6. Next I put the jeans on and played with the top, folding it over until I figured out where I wanted it to lay. I pinned it in place. I marked where I wanted to cut the fabric and then serged the edge. (Remember you need to take into account how much you are going to fold it over for your elastic.)
7. Next I folded it over 1 1/4" and stitched it in place, making a casing for my elastic. I only had 1" elastic, but I think next time I'll use a wider elastic.

Here are some different views of my new jeans. They look so much better than the saggy butt jeans I've been wearing lately. I actually feel very cute when I'm wearing these. These are just a regular length but I also bought some longer jeans to wear with boots and some skinny jeans just for fun.


Hopefully these will last me until it is time to move into the BIG pants. :) Thanks for bearing with me for my first tutorial. Next time I'll remember to take more pictures!
10 comments:
You've got some serious skilllllz. (and yes I meant to spell that with a "z"). Also I just read "These is my Words" - I totally recommend it. And that third sentence has nothing to do with your blog post - but I told you that anyway.
Wowsa! Great job Mauri! I'm going to have to give this a try! You lucked out on your shopping trip, I'm jealous :)
Oooh, hot Momma! Now, why didn't you tell me about his when I was pregnant? I don't mind a little sewing, they look great, Maur!
Your butt probably doesn't get that huge, but mine sure did :) Here's hoping the big jeans stay too big!!! (But if not, it's all in the name of baby). Love ya!
You are so talented! I didn't even know such a thing was possible. They look way cute and I bet those big jeans will stay in the closet!
Seriously, Why did we not think to do this sort of thing back in my day???!!!! We didn't even think to wear our husbands T-shirts or anything. I am so jealous. I did make cute maternity pants that were not Levi's though now that I think about it. Good Job Mauri, I keep forgetting that you are even pregnant. It will be weird to see you with a baby soon.
You're one talented mom. Way to go Mauri. And--you look great.
good job suzie-homemaker! that is awesome!!!
that is cool! i'll keep it in mind for future grandbaby mamas (i'm 44, not having any more kids, lol)
I want to thank you for putting this together. My daughter is 4 months pregnant and we are having a hard time finding maternity clothing that is fashionable but affordable. She would love to wear her skinny jeans forever, however we know that just isn't going to happen. I stumbled upon your blog following a Pintrest trail and now I'm excited to show her and get started converting. A trip to goodwill this weekend should get us started!
Off topic a bit her name is Mauriana and we call her Mauri...I've never seen this spelling outside of ours. Thank you, again.
Post a Comment